Thursday, March 6, 2014

Good-bye, Old Paint

We learned about the c1941Ford coupe convertible in a Casimir at Kanty post, and, in relation to a similar vehicle, in the 1946 picnic post.  To me it's intriguing, as Marty and I never heard anything about this "old Ford," so it's almost like finding a long-lost relative.  

Emotions rise logarithmically when I recall my own first car, a 1968 Mustang, which I sure wish I had now!  I sold it because as a poor college student I could not afford to replace the "throwout bearing," whatever that is.  It might as well have been the canooter valve, for all I could then afford to replace it.  Painful recollection.


From the New Trove:



From the last PYC Monthly in our collection:



The final paragraph of the "Just Between Us" feature refers to a certain car:

          "We shall all rise now, in a minute of silent prayer, and mourn the departure of a faithful friend.  It was indeed a friend in great need and a veteran of many engagements, struggling through thick and "tin" (that's what it was made of).  So long, old Ford."





I'm a-leavin' Cheyenne, I'm off to Montan'.
Goodbye, old Paint, I'm a-leavin' Cheyenne.

          Goodbye, old Paint, I'm a leavin' Cheyenne.
          Goodbye, old Paint, I'm a leavin' Cheyenne.

Old Paint's a good pony, he'll pace when he can,

Goodbye, old Paint, I'm a-leavin' Cheyenne;

And seat yourself by me as long as you may.
Go hitch up your hosses and give them some hay

My hosses ain't hungry, they won't eat your hay
My wagon is loaded and rolling away.

My foot's in the stirrup, the reins in my hand,
Good mornin', young lady, my hosses won't stand.





          


No comments: