Sunday, January 8, 2012

Uncle Frank

Frank Zdrojewski, one of the six sons of Ludwig and Victoria, has been the subject of family secrets recently revealed to us, his collateral descendants.  Apparently, he was married for some time, then divorced, divorce being highly unusual at that time.  No one spoke of it.

As well, it is thought that he had a son.  None of us know his name, date of birth, fate, or descendants.  Wish we did.


May Street living room, wartime: Ludwig, Victoria, son Frank with necktie, son Stanley in uniform.


Frank Zdrojewski lived in the upstairs apartment at 175 May Street.  My brother and I only knew him as a recluse with a soft voice and a soft face.  My parents would take us to see him every year at Halloween, all dressed up in costume, as well as at Christmas.

He has his Christmas things up, but alone, alone, alone.

1 comment:

Julie Zdrojewski said...

John wrote me thus:

"Julie,

Great pictures! "Alone" is how I viewed him especially after his parents died. Although Stanley lived with him upstairs they had little in common, Frank being quiet and religious, Stanley, out most of the time, drinking and carousing.

John

P.S.: Frank was interested in photography. The latter three pictures may have been self-photographed using a timer on a tripoded camera. Alternatively, done by my father or Paul's.

P.S.S.: Really, what good looking men."


And Paul Zadner added these observations:

"I have Uncle Frank's camera, a Leica, very high tech for its time and very expensive in his time, 1950's .One lens was $500.00. I would presume these were self timer photos. I found these photos in a box, all black and white which must have been common at the time. I believe he went to NYC and took photos.

I used to talk to him often especially since he spoke english and the grandparents did not. WE spoke on topics that were of my interest as a young boy. I would stay with him when my parent's visited your parents.


As a very young child I remember the May Street Christmas Tree with candles on it. That must have been scary and could burn the house down.

Uncle Frank had nice things that I remember as a child but we never found in this apartment . I think he had a nice music box and a harmonica and a silver Hawaiian guitar. He used to buy quality."




Uncle Stanley lived with Uncle Frank? How thought-provoking.

And this guitar of silver, was it a curio or a real instrument? Did he play? Uncle Frank did riffs?

Julie