Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Clara Matynka High School Art Folio, continued: Design, and Thoughts of Home

Design study at Kensington High in 1946 included use of the "Ruling Pen." Whatever a "Ruling Pen" is, the use of it, demonstrated on this sheet of manila paper, is impressive.  While the two top designs include some uneven spacing, the rest appear quite even, and the woven - my eyes are crossing; maybe it is just triple-layered - design bottom right is amazing. 


Watercolor on paper cutout.

Watercolor from a stencil.
Simple, but effective in getting me into
the Christmas mood.



Watercolor card on the ever-beloved
"cozy home winter wonderland" theme.
Why are the Christmas trees blue?
Why did it take me so long to notice
that the Christmas trees are blue?

The cozy, welcoming home was the theme of a picture that hung in the front hall of the Marilla house for as long as I can remember.  It was printed on fabric; did it come from Clara's Drapery Shop?  It was of good size: perhaps two by two and a half feet.  Behind glass and framed in an old, dark, ornate frame, it was always there, and I'm sure it made a big fat impression on me.  I live now in Grandma Moses country; I often see landscapes like this, including the scene across the road from her house.

Where is the Marilla Grandma Moses picture now?

Grandma Moses

No comments: