Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Portrait in "Wartime"

In an earlier post called Wartime (that's a link to that post), there is a photo of JPZ in his living room, and on the wall is a framed photo of his eldest son Eugene.  Here is a print that looks similar, if not quite the same, as that photo on the wall in the photo:


Help me Rhonda!

1.  What is that insignia on his shoulder?  How can I identify his unit?

Somewhere in the boxes are, I hope, a metal bracelet with paratrooper insignia, plus a photo of his unit in Basic, plus his discharge papers, and some other things.  Until those items surface, can anyone suggest a good website for checking out these US Army insignia from WWII?

2.  There's a book in print called Finding Your Father's War - A Practical Guide to Researching and Understanding Service in the World War II US Army.  Before I buy it, can anyone give an opinion on its reliability and utility?

3.  I believe I shall start a page on this site listing favorite history books, to include Polish histories, World Wars I and II histories, and biographies of Polish immigrants to America.  Would people send in some of their most recommended titles?  Would people write little reviews as posts?

Julie

No comments: